Lizard Mound County park is considered one of the best-preserved sites of its kind in Wisconsin. There are currently 28 mounds in
the park, although sometimes the number 26 appears in literature - either typo or because at least one (possibly two?) of the mounds
turned out to be of natural origin rather than human-built. Sometimes you'll come across the number 29 too. It's estimated that the
original group consisted of about 60 mounds, although as early as 1883 only 47 were documented, and more were lost to cultivation
ever since. As of today the map shows 5 conicals, 1 oval, 10 linear or tapering linear mounds, 1 lizard, 2 birds and 9 panthers or
water-spirits, including pared effigy - two panthers connected head-to-head.
Today, the Lizard Mound County Park has its own entry in the National Register of Historic Places, although it's a part of broader
Washington County "Island" Effigy Mound Archeological District, also included in the Register. It's unclear if there are more mounds
surviving on surrounding private lands, most of which are pasture, but there are some names associated with the Archeological District,
in particular Glass Mounds and Susan/Backhouse Mounds.